In the United States, lotteries are administered by 48 jurisdictions: 45 states plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
Lotteries are independently governed and managed by each jurisdiction and there is no national lottery organisation. However, state lotteries syndicate games with greater geographical coverage, resulting in larger jackpots. The two main lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball, are available in almost every jurisdiction where lotteries are organised.
Does every state in the US have a lottery?
In America, lotteries are operated by 48 jurisdictions: 45 states and the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
The 45 National State Lotteries in America
See which State organises what to the two major lotteries:
- Alabama: No state lottery.
- Alaska: No state lottery.
- Arizona: Arizona Lottery with games such as The Pick, Pick 3, Fantasy 5, and Triple Twist.
- Arkansas: Arkansas Scholarship Lottery, including Powerball, Mega Millions, Natural State Jackpot, and Lucky for Life.
- California: California Lottery – games include SuperLotto Plus, Fantasy 5, and Daily Derby.
- Colorado: Colorado Lottery – Colorado Lotto+, Cash 5, and Pick 3.
- Connecticut: Connecticut Lottery – Lotto!, Cash5, and Lucky Links.
- Delaware: Delaware Lottery – Multi-Win Lotto, Lucky for Life, and Delaware Cash 5.
- Florida: Florida Lottery – Florida Lotto, Fantasy 5, and Jackpot Triple Play.
- Georgia: Georgia Lottery – Cash4Life, Jumbo Bucks Lotto, and Cash Pop.
- Hawaii: No state lottery.
- Idaho: Idaho Lottery – Idaho Cash, Weekly Grand, and Pick 3.
- Illinois: Illinois Lottery – Lotto, Lucky Day Lotto, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- Indiana: Hoosier Lottery – Hoosier Lotto, Cash 5, and Quick Draw.
- Iowa: Iowa Lottery – Lotto America, Iowa Pick 3, and Iowa Pick 4.
- Kansas: Kansas Lottery – Super Kansas Cash, 2by2, and Pick 3.
- Kentucky: Kentucky Lottery – Cash Ball 225, Lucky for Life, and Quick Bucks.
- Louisiana: Louisiana Lottery – Lotto, Easy 5, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- Maine: Maine Lottery – Gimme 5, Lotto America, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- Certainly, here is the continuation of the list:
- Massachusetts: Massachusetts Lottery – Mass Cash, Megabucks Doubler, and Numbers Game.
- Michigan: Michigan Lottery – Classic Lotto 47, Fantasy 5, and Daily 3/Daily 4.
- Minnesota: Minnesota Lottery – Gopher 5, Northstar Cash, and Daily 3.
- Mississippi: Mississippi Lottery – Cash 3, Cash 4, and Match 5.
- Missouri: Missouri Lottery – Lotto, Show Me Cash, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- Montana: Montana Lottery – Montana Lotto, Montana Cash, and Big Sky Bonus.
- Nebraska: Nebraska Lottery – Nebraska Pick 5, Pick 3, and MyDaY.
- Nevada: No state lottery.
- New Hampshire: New Hampshire Lottery – Megabucks, Tri-State Pick 3/Pick 4, and Gimme 5.
- New Jersey: New Jersey Lottery – Pick-6, Jersey Cash 5, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- New Mexico: New Mexico Lottery – Roadrunner Cash, Pick 3, and Pick 4.
- New York: New York Lottery – New York Lotto, Take 5, and Numbers.
- North Carolina: North Carolina Lottery – Carolina Cash 5, Pick 3, and Pick 4.
- North Dakota: North Dakota Lottery – 2by2, Wild Card 2, and Pick 3.
- Ohio: Ohio Lottery – Classic Lotto, Rolling Cash 5, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- Oklahoma: Oklahoma Lottery – Cash 5, Pick 3, and Poker Pick.
- Oregon: Oregon Lottery – Oregon’s Game Megabucks, Win for Life, and Pick 4.
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Lottery – Match 6, Cash 5, and Pick 2/Pick 3/Pick 4/Pick 5.
- Rhode Island: Rhode Island Lottery – Wild Money, The Numbers, and Keno.
- South Carolina: South Carolina Education Lottery – Palmetto Cash 5, Pick 3, and Pick 4.
- South Dakota: South Dakota Lottery – Dakota Cash, Pick 3, and Pick 4.
- Tennessee: Tennessee Lottery – Tennessee Cash, Cash 3, and Cash 4.
- Texas: Texas Lottery – Lotto Texas, Texas Two Step, and Pick 3/Daily 4.
- Utah: No state lottery.
- Vermont: Vermont Lottery – Tri-State Megabucks, Gimme 5, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- Virginia: Virginia Lottery – Bank a Million, Cash 5, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- Washington: Washington’s Lottery – Lotto, Hit 5, and Daily Keno.
- West Virginia: West Virginia Lottery – Cash 25, Daily 3, and Daily 4.
- Wisconsin: Wisconsin Lottery – Megabucks, Badger 5, and Pick 3/Pick 4.
- Wyoming: Wyoming Lottery – Cowboy Draw, Lucky for Life, and 2by2
Diversity between states
States vary greatly in size, population, culture and legislation. This allows them to serve as “laboratories of democracy” where different policies and initiatives can be tested.
In other countries, the word “state” may have different meanings, depending on the type of political system. For example, in countries with unitary rather than federal systems, regions typically enjoy less autonomy from the central government.
Where do most lottery winners win?
New York has sold more Powerball and Mega Millions winning tickets than any other state.
Which state has the richest lottery?
The state with the largest lottery sales in 2022 was New York, with sales of approximately $10 billion.
States without lotteries
Among states without lotteries, Alabama has raised religious objections, while gaming industries in Utah and Nevada have lobbied against local state lotteries.